Escape to Utah's Hidden Gem: Holiday Hills Coalville Awaits!
Escape to Utah's Hidden Gem: Holiday Hills Coalville Awaits! - A Messy, Honest Review (and a Plea to Book!)
Alright, folks, let's be real. Planning a getaway in Utah, especially if you're looking for something… different? That’s where Holiday Hills Coalville comes in. Forget the bustling tourist traps, the insta-perfect crowds… this is about finding your own little slice of peace. And let me tell you, this hidden gem is trying to steal your heart, one quirky detail at a time. Buckle up, because this review is going to get real.
(SEO Note: I'll sprinkle in those keywords like "Holiday Hills Coalville," "Utah getaway," "spa hotel," "accessible hotel," "family-friendly hotel," etc. throughout, but let's focus on the experience, yeah?)
First Impressions & Location: The "Trying to Find It" Adventure
Okay, so finding Holiday Hills Coalville is like a mini-adventure in itself. Not in a lost-in-the-wilderness kind of way, but more like "GPS is a suggestion" kind of way. But honestly? That's part of the charm! It forces you to actually disconnect from the world for a bit, which, let’s be honest, is exactly what we need. And once you do find it? BOOM! You're greeted with that crisp mountain air and a feeling of "ahhhhh, I'm finally here."
Accessibility: (Let's Get Serious for a Second)
This is crucial for some folks. Holiday Hills seems to be making a genuine effort with accessibility. I saw "Facilities for disabled guests" listed, which warms my heart. They’ve got an "Elevator," and it sounds like they’ll accommodate needs. Now, I didn't personally experience all levels of accessibility, but the commitment is there. (If you do need specific information, call ahead, people!)
Rooms: Cozy & Comfortable (with a Few Quirks!)
My room? Honestly, it was delightful. The basics were spot-on: "Air conditioning," "Air conditioning in public area," "Alarm clock" (hallelujah!), "Free bottled water," "Coffee/tea maker," and a "Refrigerator." The "Blackout curtains" were a lifesaver – perfect for catching up on some much-needed sleep. The "Bathrobes" and "Slippers"? A nice touch. And that "Free Wi-Fi" in the room? A lifesaver. (We'll get to the 'Internet' section later.) The "Desk," "Laptop workspace," and "Mirror" all contributed to a good working environment. The "Seating area" was a definite plus, and the "Satellite/cable channels" helped wind down after a long day.
The "Extra long bed" for a taller-than-average person was a huge bonus! And the "Window that opens" gave the room a nice and airy feel.
The "Closet" and the "Ironing facilities" all combined well to give the room an "open-concept" feel which was perfect.
BUT… the true test of any hotel room is: how do they handle the coffee? It was the average, predictable, no coffee snob would be impressed coffee, and no more.
The Amenities: Let’s Talk Spa Day (and Maybe a Dip in the Pool?)
Okay, this is where Holiday Hills Coalville really shines. I could easily see myself spending a whole weekend just living in these amenities. They’ve got it all:
- "Spa/sauna" that is really a bunch of separate experiences You've got your "Sauna," your "Steamroom," and a full-blown "Spa" with "Massage" and "Body scrub." This is where I went full-on luxury. I booked a massage (which, let me tell you, was amazing – ask for Brenda!), and the "Body scrub" was pure bliss. Seriously, I felt like a new person. I'm talking "floating on clouds" level relaxed. The "Gym/fitness" was there but, let's be honest, I focused on the "relaxation" side of things.
- The Pool Experience: The "Swimming pool [outdoor]" is incredible. Now, "Pool with view" is a slight exaggeration, but it does offer a lovely view of the surrounding area. I'd suggest you book a spot in the morning, during the afternoon it can get crowded.
The "Foot bath" – A tiny, but welcome treat.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food, Glorious Food (With Some Caveats!)
The "Restaurants" are decent, but don't expect Michelin-star quality. The "A la carte in restaurant" has its ups and downs. The "Western cuisine in restaurant" gives you, well, western cuisine that's mostly what you would expect. The "Asian cuisine in restaurant" is more average. The "Bar" is a great for people-watching and networking. The "Poolside bar" – a must-do.
The "Breakfast [buffet]" is a classic, a solid way to start the day but it felt a little bit, rushed.
The "Snack bar" saved me on a few occasions when the hunger pangs hit.
Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Safe & Sound?
I felt extremely safe and secure. The "CCTV in common areas," "CCTV outside property," "Front desk [24-hour]", "Security [24-hour]" all contribute to a feeling of well-being. The "Smoke alarms," "Fire extinguisher" and the staff clearly were trained in safety protocol.
And, the "Hand sanitizer" was everywhere which made me happy. I was happy that they did things like "Daily disinfection in common areas". They went the extra mile and I felt really good about it.
Internet & Technology (Because It's 2024!)
Okay, let's talk "Internet." They have "Free Wi-Fi" in the rooms, which is a godsend. The "Internet access – wireless" and "Internet access – wireless" in the "public areas" was good. I'm a digital nomad, and I need my connection! The "Laptop workspace" came in handy.
Things to Do: (Beyond Relaxation!)
Don't get me wrong, I spent most of my time on the "relaxation," but there are "Things to do" outside the hotel such as hiking trails or skiing! "Meetings," "Seminars," and "Indoor venue for special events" if you need to get down to business for some reason.
Services & Conveniences
Holiday Hills offers a lot of services and conventions. "Concierge" is super helpful; getting "Daily housekeeping" keeps you feeling fresh, "Laundry service" is a lifesaver if you're staying for a bit or plan on getting messy outside the hotel. "Food delivery" is a great deal; and the "Convenience store" helped make everything feel simple.
For the Kids:
"Babysitting service" and "Kids facilities" if you are traveling with a family
The Deal:
- Price: The price point makes it even more enticing. It punches far above its weight class.
- Availability: The hotel is constantly being updated, so there are always rooms available.
The Verdict: Should You Go?
Absolutely! If you're looking for a Utah getaway that's off the beaten path, focused on relaxation, and offers genuine hospitality, Holiday Hills Coalville is it. It's not perfect—nothing is—but it's got character, charm, and a genuine desire to make your stay memorable.
Here's my official, completely biased recommendation:
Stop searching. Book Holiday Hills Coalville now. You won't regret it. Treat yourself. You deserve it. You’ll thank me later.
Ward Hamilton NZ: The Quest You Won't Believe!Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's perfectly-formatted travel itinerary. This is the real deal, a chaotic, caffeine-fueled rollercoaster of a trip to that… uh… Best Western Holiday Hills in Coalville, Utah. Yeah, Coalville. I need a strong drink just thinking about it. Let's go!
Day 1: Arrival and the Existential Dread of Beige
- 1:00 PM - Arrive at Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC). Okay, first hurdle: the flight. Survived it. The only minor hiccup? The tiny, judgy lady behind me who hated my in-flight movie choices. Apparently, "Sharknado 7: The Last Sharknado" is beneath her. More like a masterpiece, madam, a masterpiece of low-budget brilliance! Anyway, made it to the baggage claim, thankfully my suitcase arrived intact (a victory in itself!) and I grabbed the rental car - a surprisingly snazzy SUV, because hey, gotta feel something in Coalville, right?
- 2:00 PM - Pick up that Rental Car. You know, for a second, I almost forgot how to drive. I swear, the whole airport experience makes me question everything. Is this real life? Am I a figment of someone's imagination? But then, SUV, keys, and the open road beckoned.
- 3:30 PM - Scenic Drive to Coalville. They said it would be scenic. They lied. Okay, not lied, per se, but "scenic" in the Utah sense of "desert, mountains, and the occasional tumbleweed." Still, the sheer vastness of it all hit me. Reminded me of that time I broke up with Chad. Just a lot of… emptiness.
- 5:00 PM - Check-in at Best Western Holiday Hills. Oh. My. God. The beige. The beige. It's like living inside a giant, poorly-lit cookie. The room? Predictable. Functional. A soul-crushing monument to the banality of chain hotels. There's a faint smell of chlorine and… sadness. I might need therapy after this. Also, the Wi-Fi is slower than continental drift.
- 6:00 PM - Attempt to Unpack. Failed. Still staring at the beige. I think I'll just live out of my suitcase. Easier that way.
- 7:00 PM - Dinner at… well, something. Found a "family restaurant" a few miles down the road. The waitress kept calling me "Honey." Bless her heart. Ordered the chicken fried steak. It was… adequate. The mashed potatoes, however, were the culinary equivalent of a warm hug. Needed that.
Day 2: Coalville! Coalville! COALVILLE! (And a Mountain of Doubt)
- 8:00 AM - Breakfast at the Hotel "Complimentary" Breakfast Bar. Okay, "complimentary" is pushing it. It's basically a crime against breakfast. Stale donuts. Weak coffee. The usual suspects. Found a rogue banana, its skin brown like the inside of my soul. Ate it anyway. Fueling up for… whatever Coalville had in store for me. (Spoiler alert: I’m still not sure.)
- 9:00 AM - Exploring Coalville, population: Questionable. Okay, this is where the wheels really started to wobble. Headed into the "downtown." (And I use the term very loosely.) Buildings looked like they were built in the 1800s and maybe had a quick coat of paint since then. Found a surprisingly charming antique store. Bought a teacup. Am I a tea person now? I fear I have become one.
- 10:30 AM - The Coalville Museum. This place was, well, something. Full of local historic memorabilia and relics. Got to know Coalville's glory days. Learned about the area's coal mining heritage. Found myself unexpectedly fascinated by the history of… coal. I never thought I could get passionate about something so… black. But honestly, the sheer grit and determination of the early settlers was kind of inspiring. It was like, “hey, we’re gonna survive. We’re gonna build a town. We’re gonna get through this, even, if all we have is a hole in the ground and a dream!”
- 12:00 PM - Lunch at the local diner. Okay, the diner was the perfect blend of "authentic" and "kind of terrifying." Ordered a burger and fries. The burger was… generous. The fries were… fried. Conversed with the locals. Found out what REAL small-town life is like. I now know more about the high school football team than I ever cared about.
- 1:30 PM - A Drive Through the Mountains. Seriously. I needed to get some air. Drove up into the mountains near Coalville. The views were… stunning. The air smelled of pine and freedom. It was a good reminder that the world is big and beautiful, and I needed to get away from the internet (and maybe people).
- 4:00 PM - Back to the Beige. The hotel felt even more oppressive after the mountain. Took a nap. Woke up with the distinct feeling that I was being watched.
- 6:00 PM - Dinner at a different "family restaurant." This one had a slightly better ambiance. Had the salmon. Overcooked, but it was still good.
Day 3: The Coalville Question Mark and Departure
- 8:00 AM - Another "Complimentary" Breakfast. Ate the banana again. This time, no regrets.
- 9:00 AM - Final Coalville Reconnaissance. Found a used bookstore and got lost in the smell of old paper and forgotten stories. Realized maybe I was actually starting to… enjoy myself?
- 10:00 AM - Buying Souvenirs. I needed to commemorate my Coalville experience. Found a t-shirt that said, "I Survived Coalville." Perfect.
- 11:30 AM - Check-out. Freedom at last!
- 12:00 PM - The Drive Back to SLC Airport. Scenic or not, I was ready to go home. The drive felt longer than it should have, probably because I was replaying scenes in my head, from the trip. I kept asking myself, "What was the point of this trip?"
- 2:00 PM - Return Rental Car. Felt like I had had that SUV for a lifetime.
- 3:00 PM - SLC Airport and Goodbyes. Saw the lady from the plane, still judging. Decided I didn't care anymore. Got on my flight home.
- 4:00 PM - Departure. Goodbye, Beige. Goodbye, Coalville. Goodbye, the existential dread. (Hopefully.)
Epilogue:
So, did I "enjoy" Coalville? Honestly, I don't know. It was… something. It shook me up, made me question things, and gave me a renewed appreciation for air conditioning and decent coffee. Maybe it was the beige, or the lack of entertainment, or maybe I was just starting to crack. Coalville may not have been the glittering, amazing destination I dreamed about, but it's a story I'll tell (and probably exaggerate) forever. And hey, at least the mashed potatoes were good.
Rockville's BEST Kept Secret: Sleep Inn Rockville Review (You WON'T Believe This!)Escape to Utah's Hidden Gem: Holiday Hills, Coalville Awaits! (Seriously, You Need This)
Okay, Coalville? Really? Where even *is* that? And why Holiday Hills? Sounds… generic.
Alright, alright, I get it. Coalville. It's not exactly on everyone's radar. Think: Utah, but further east, past Park City, and you're getting warmer. Holiday Hills? Yeah, the name's a *bit* meh, I'll grant you that. But hear me out! It's about the *experience*, not the name. It's that feeling of stepping away from the chaos. My first time? Disaster. Literally, the car...long story. But even then, the air was different. Cleaner. And the stars? Holy moly. You can *see* the Milky Way. Haven't seen that since… well, since I left the city, probably 30 years ago. It's a legit escape, a real breather, and yes, it's in Coalville. Embrace the unknown. It's where the magic happens, trust me.
What’s the BIGGEST draw? Like, the *thing* I absolutely can't miss?
Okay, there isn’t one single thing, but... it's the *peace*. Seriously. I’m talking about ditching the email alerts, silencing the phone, and just… *existing*. You could hike, fish (if you're into that, I’m more of a “watch the fish” type!), or just… sit on a porch swing and drink coffee (or something stronger, I’m not judging!). My personal highlight? The *stargazing*. One time, I swear, I saw a shooting star so bright, it felt like it winked at me. That's the draw. That quiet, that vastness... That’s what you're missing. And now you know. Don't dilly-dally. Seriously, go.
Accommodation options? Hotels? Cabins? Should I bring a tent? (Please no, I am too old for tents.)
Okay, about the tents. Absolutely not unless you're some masochistic outdoorsy type. I'm team 'cozy cabin with a fireplace.' (Though, one time, I *did* see a bear... from the *window* of a cozy cabin. That was enough nature for me that trip!). There are some nice cabins and vacation rentals in the area. Honestly, Airbnbs are your friend here. Look for ones with a view; absolutely essential. Also, make sure it has a decent coffee maker. Those mornings... pure gold. Just remember, book early, especially during peak season. This secret is out, and everyone’s craving the quiet of Holiday Hills too. Seriously. Everyone.
Food! What about FOOD? Are we talking gas station burritos or…something slightly more exciting?
Gas station burritos *can* be charming, in a pinch. But Coalville is evolving! There are a few decent restaurants in town, nothing Michelin star, but solid, home-style cooking. My recommendation? Check out [Insert a local restaurant name - this is where SEO and local knowledge comes in]. They make a mean [Insert a dish name]. And, for the love of all that is holy, bring snacks. Plenty of snacks. Hiking snacks, campfire snacks, "I'm-bored-and-need-something-to-nibble-on" snacks. You'll thank me later. Always pack a bag of chips, no matter what. Seriously.
I'm not a hiker. Or an outdoors person, really. Is this really for me?
Look, I get it. Hiking? Not for everyone. Neither am I. I like a nice stroll on a flat path, but I'm not scaling mountains, no. The beauty of Holiday Hills is that you don't have to be a rugged outdoorsy type. You can be a "sit-on-the-porch-and-sip-tea-while-reading-a-book" type. Or a "go-for-a-drive-and-admire-the-scenery" type. Or a "watch-the-sunset-with-a-glass-of-wine" type. It's about the *escape*, not the exertion. It's about *finding* the joy, not *doing* the thing. So, yes. Absolutely, yes. Even if the most "outdoorsy" thing you do is refill the bird feeder.
What's the weather like? Should I pack for all four seasons?
Utah weather? It's… mercurial. Pack layers. Seriously. Even in summer, the nights can get chilly. And those afternoon thunderstorms? They can roll in out of nowhere. Winter? Brrr! Be prepared for snow and ice. Spring and fall are beautiful, but still, layers. Think: t-shirts, long-sleeved shirts, a fleece, a jacket, a rain shell, and maybe a hat and gloves, just in case. It's always better to be over-prepared than to freeze your you-know-what off. One time, I went in July and got caught in a blizzard. A BLIZZARD! Okay, slight exaggeration, but it *felt* like a blizzard. Pack for everything! ...And check the forecast. Duh.
Any particular tips for making the most of my trip?
Okay, LISTEN UP!
- Unplug: Seriously. Put your phone away. The world won't end if you don't check your email every five seconds.
- Bring a book: Or three. Reading on a porch swing with a view is a *luxury* you deserve.
- Pack a good camera: The scenery is breathtaking. You'll want to capture those moments. Or just take selfies. I won't judge.
- Talk to the locals: They're friendly! Ask for recommendations. They know the best hidden spots.
- Don't be afraid to do nothing: Seriously, embrace the stillness. That's the whole point! One time, I just satStay By CityBest Western Holiday Hills Coalville (UT) United StatesBest Western Holiday Hills Coalville (UT) United States