A Million Roses: Izu, Japan's Breathtaking Floral Paradise

A Million Roses Izu Japan

A Million Roses Izu Japan

A Million Roses: Izu, Japan's Breathtaking Floral Paradise

A Million Roses: Izu – Is It Truly Paradise, Or Just a Really Pretty Place? A Messy, Honest Review.

Alright, folks, buckle up. Because after spending a week at A Million Roses in Izu, Japan, I'm about to unleash a review that's less "textbook hotel report" and more "drunken diary entry after too much sake." Forget the PR-speak. Let's get real.

First Impressions: The Wow Factor (and the Tiny Hiccups)

Okay, I'll admit it. The pictures don't lie. A Million Roses is visually stunning. Like, drop-your-jaw-in-the-lobby-and-then-trip-over-it stunning. Imagine rolling hills of roses, cascading down towards the ocean. Breathe it in. That’s the vibe. The exterior, the whole vibe, it's a postcard come to life. It's breathtaking. (Sorry, had to use the word, it's apt.)

But before you start imagining yourself swan-diving into a rose petal fountain (which, for the record, they don't have, bummer), let's address the elephant in the room: Accessibility. This is where things get a little… complicated. The hotel says they have facilities for disabled guests. They even mention an elevator! But honestly? Negotiating the grounds on a wheelchair would feel like competing in the Rose Bowl… uphill. There are slopes, steps, and those charming, yet utterly impractical, cobbled pathways. So, while technically accessible, it's not exactly a breeze. Make sure you check very specific needs with them before you book.

Getting There & Getting Around: The Airport Tango

Okay, the Airport transfer was smooth. A slick Mercedes picked us up, which was a nice touch. But then, the traffic! Izu is beautiful, but it's a bit of a trek. Consider the travel time. It’s not exactly down the street. Car park [free of charge] and Car park [on-site] are both available, which is handy if you're driving. They even offer valet parking, which is a nice luxury, especially after a long journey. Bicycle parking is another practical touch – though honestly, with those hills? I'd stick to the car, or maybe a rickshaw if you’re feeling masochistic.

Rooms: Luxury, with Extra Slippers (and a Tiny Headache)

Our room? Gorgeous. Like, magazine-worthy gorgeous. We had a high floor with a window that opens (a must for me). The air conditioning worked a treat, which was a lifesaver in the humid Japanese summer. Free Wi-Fi? Confirmed. Daily housekeeping, linens, towels, the works. They even had bathrobes and slippers. The extra long bed was a godsend after hours of travel. The blackout curtains meant I could sleep until noon, if I didn’t mind completely missing out on the sunrise.

But… and there's always a but, isn’t there? The internet access – wireless was patchy. Okay, maybe a lot patchy. I’d be mid-sentence, typing away with my laptop workspace, and poof – gone. The Internet access – LAN was better, but still not rock solid. I, a writer, was forced to become one with my phone's hotspot. Major buzzkill. And the mirror in the room? It was too small! I was too tall, and it’s a first-world problem I know, but I couldn’t properly check my hair. First-world problems, indeed.

The additional toilet was a luxury (because, you know, sometimes life happens) . We had a refrigerator, mini bar, coffee/tea maker , and complimentary tea. The in-room safe box was perfect for stashing our passports and the questionable amounts of cash we'd amassed from the local ATM.

Dining & Drinking: From Buffet Bliss to Baffling Service

Brace yourselves, because this is where things get… interesting.

The Asian breakfast was EPIC. Seriously. Forget the sad continental breakfast you might be used to. Think fresh sushi, miso soup that sings to your soul, and more options than you can shake a stick at. Breakfast [buffet] was a sensory overload in the best way possible. The buffet in the restaurant was well-organized. The only problem? The sheer volume of it all. I felt a little guilty about how much I ate.

The restaurants themselves were a mixed bag. A la carte in restaurant gave us the option to try out a few things. International cuisine in restaurant was surprisingly decent, particularly the pasta. Western cuisine in restaurant was also available, but frankly, I went to Japan to eat Japanese food. Why would I want a hamburger? It just seemed…wrong.

The poolside bar was fantastic for a sundowner. Grabbed a cocktail, watched the sun sink into the ocean…pure bliss. But the service… it could be slow. Painfully slow. I'm talking "the waiter walks away to go milk his own cow" slow. And sometimes, there were language barriers. I tried to order a simple "salad in restaurant" and ended up getting a plate of what looked suspiciously like lawn clippings. (Okay, I'm exaggerating. But still.)

The Spa, the Pools, and the Pursuit of Bliss

This is where A Million Roses really shines. The spa is divine. Seriously. They offer a range of treatments, including body scrub and body wrap. I splurged on a massage. Best. Decision. Ever. The masseuse was a goddess, kneading away all the knots of travel and existential dread.

The swimming pool? Stunning. But, get this, they have a pool with a view – and it lives up to the hype. The backdrop is jaw-dropping. You can laze around, soak in the sun, and pretend you're a movie star. They also have a sauna and a steamroom…all the relaxation essentials. The foot bath was a great little touch, and so needed after all the walking around!

Cleanliness, Safety, & COVID Considerations: Navigating the New Normal

Look, the hotel tries. They have anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, and professional-grade sanitizing services. You get hand sanitizer everywhere. They offer room sanitization opt-out available, which I liked. They also have sanitized kitchen and tableware items – the basics they have nailed. Physical distancing of at least 1 meter is encouraged.

This all helps you feel safe, even if you're still a little paranoid from the pandemic. The staff trained in safety protocol were professional and, thankfully, well masked. The doctor/nurse on call provides excellent peace of mind.

Service & Conveniences: Hits and Misses

Concierge was helpful, but not always the most insightful. For navigating the country, consider the services of a paid tour instead. The luggage storage was a lifesaver. The laundry service was great, which was a huge relief, considering how messy I can get. The dry cleaning was efficient.

They have a gift/souvenir shop, if you're into that sort of thing. I'm more of a "find my own treasures" type, so I didn’t spend much time there. They also provide invoice provided.

Things to do

There is the shrine, which is worth popping into. I like to see them myself. And if you are hosting someone, there’s a proposal spot! Romantic!

Things to do - For the Kids:

They have kid-friendly facilities. Babysitting service is available, and kids meal.

And finally… the honest truth?

A Million Roses is a phenomenal hotel. It is Family/child friendly. It can be a magical place. But it’s not perfect. It has its quirks, its imperfections. The service can be patchy, the internet is hit-or-miss, and the accessibility situation needs improvement.

But…

The location? The views? The spa? They are worth it. And I'll remember this place forever.

My Rating: A Solid 4 out of 5 Stars (with a caveat: Bring your patience and a strong internet connection.)


The (Extremely Persuasive) Offer: Book Your Escape to A Million Roses Today!

Tired of the same old vacation routine? Craving an escape that's both breathtakingly beautiful and deeply relaxing? Then prepare to be swept away by the magic of A Million Roses in Izu, Japan!

Here's what awaits you:

  • Unforgettable Views: Wake up to the awe-inspiring sight of rolling hills adorned with a million roses, cascading down towards the shimmering
Albuquerque's BEST Kept Secret Hotel? (Quality Inn Review!)

Book Now

A Million Roses Izu Japan

A Million Roses Izu Japan

A Million Roses & Me: Izu, Japan - Or, How I Almost Quit Travel (and Found Paradise)

Okay, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your Instagram-filtered travel log. This is the real deal. We're talking Izu, Japan, a place that promised a million roses and delivered… well, a whole lot more. And honestly? I almost chucked it all in the first 24 hours.

Day 1: Arrival & Existential Dread (Shuzenji, the Bamboo Forest of Doom… in a Good Way?)

  • Morning (Tokyo to Izu): The Shinkansen – bullet train, the epitome of Japanese efficiency. Or, it should be. I managed to spill my matcha latte all over my pristine white travel journal within the first 15 minutes. (Note to self: bring stronger stain remover. Also, maybe learn to hold a cup.) I'm already questioning my life choices. Am I even a "traveler" or just a clumsy lady who likes pretty pictures? Decidedly not a smooth start.

  • Afternoon (Shuzenji Temple & Bamboo Forest): Arrived in Shuzenji, a charming little onsen town. Google maps lied about the walk from the station being "easy." My suitcase felt like it weighed a small elephant, and the humidity was trying to liquefy me from the inside out. But, the promised bamboo forest – the Shuzenji Bamboo Grove – was everything. Sunlight filtering through the stalks, the soft rustle of leaves – it was genuinely breathtaking. I even managed to (briefly) forget about my existential dread. Took way too many photos. Like, bordering on aggressively touristy. But honestly, I couldn't help myself.

  • Evening (Onsen Woes & Ramen Regret): Onsen time! I thought I was prepared. I'd watched countless YouTube tutorials. But, the reality? Stripping in front of strangers is still… weird. The water was scalding hot, I felt like a boiled lobster, and I'm pretty sure I saw a guy staring at me as I was trying to gracefully enter. Emphasis on trying. Dinner was ramen. I ordered the "spicy" one. My mouth is still burning. Could have been the heat, or just the emotional strain of a day of travel gone wrong.

Day 2: The Rose Garden & a Sudden Surge of Joy (Atagawa Tropical & Alligator Garden, followed by a LOT of Roses)

  • Morning (Atagawa Tropical & Alligator Garden… Yeah, You Read That Right): Okay, this was unexpected. Alligators. In a tropical garden. In Japan. It sounded ridiculous. And it was ridiculous. In the best possible way. The alligators were just lounging around, basking in the sun. I even saw a baby one! The tropical plants were vibrant, the air was thick with humidity, and for the first time, I felt… cheerful. Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of this.

  • Afternoon (The Million Roses - Kawazu-zakura): The highlight. The reason I came. Kawazu-zakura, a rose garden sprawling over the entire valley or so. Oh. My. God. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. The roses were in full bloom, a riot of color and scent that just washed over me. I wandered around for hours, lost in a fragrant haze. Actually cried a little. (Don't judge.) It was pure, unadulterated joy. I took so many pictures my camera almost died.

  • Evening (Dinner Disaster & Unexpected Kindness): Feeling on top of the world, I found a local restaurant for dinner. Tried to order in (very fractured) Japanese, made a complete mess of it, ended up with something I didn't recognize, and… well, it tasted like disappointment. I sat there, feeling sorry for myself, when a kind old woman, the owner, came over. She didn't speak much English, but she gestured, smiled, and essentially made me a new, simpler dish. It wasn't fancy, but it was delicious, and her generosity made me feel human again. Small victories, right?

Day 3: Coastal Ramblings & a Sea of Reflection (Izu Coast, Jogasaki Coast, and the Ephemeral Beauty of Everything)

  • Morning (Coastal Drive & Jogasaki Coast): Rented a car. Driving on the left side of the road felt like an extreme sport at first. I may have almost driven into a ditch a couple of times. The Izu coast is rugged and stunning. Dramatic cliffs, crashing waves, the endless expanse of the ocean… the Jogasaki Coast was particularly breathtaking. The walk along the suspension bridge was terrifying but invigorating at the same time.

  • Afternoon (Seaside Meditation & Melancholy): Found a secluded spot overlooking the sea and just… sat. Watched the waves crash. Thought about everything and nothing. The trip had been good, bad, and everything in between. I'd almost failed. But somewhere along the way, I have found a beauty I wasn't expecting.

  • Evening (Farewell Feast & Promise): Ate fresh seafood. The sashimi was so good it made me slightly teary. I bought a small, single rose. Tonight, I am happy.

Day 4: Departure & a Secret Promise (Tokyo/End)

  • Morning (Departure): Back to Tokyo. Goodbye Izu, my beautiful, chaotic, exhilarating mess of a place. I'll be back.
  • Afternoon (Tokyo): Tokyo. I am home (almost).
  • Evening (Reflections): I'm still not sure if I'm a "good" traveler, but I know I found something special in Izu. Maybe travel isn't about perfect itineraries or flawless photos. Maybe it's about embracing the mess, the unexpected, and the moments that make you feel truly, gloriously, alive. And the roses definitely helped.

Final Thoughts (Also a confession): Seriously, go to Izu. But be prepared for the unexpected. Pack stain remover. Bring tissues. And be open to falling a little bit in love with a place that might just break your heart (in the best possible way).

Leipzig Ibis Nord-Ost Taucha: Your Perfect Stay Awaits!

Book Now

A Million Roses Izu Japan

A Million Roses Izu Japan

A Million Roses: Izu – My Rose-Tinted (and Sometimes Prickly) Adventure!

Okay, seriously, is it *really* a million roses? Don't they usually exaggerate?

Alright, look, "a million" is probably...well, a *bit* of poetic license. Let's just say there are A LOT. You're surrounded. Everywhere you look, it's roses. It's a sensory overload, in the *best* way. Honestly, I stopped counting after, oh, a hundred thousand? My brain just melted into a fragrant, colorful blob of petals. So, yeah, believe the hype. Go. Just bring tissues for the happy tears (and maybe some for the pollen allergies, if you're me).

Best time to go to see the roses? I'm a planner, obviously.

Okay, here's the thing, the peak bloom season is generally Spring (late May/early June) and Autumn (October/November). Spring is *gorgeous*, but also peak tourist season. You'll be battling crowds. Autumn? Slightly less people, usually still beautiful weather, and maybe, just maybe, you'll have a moment to yourself with a rose. I went in... let's just say, a slightly *off* season. It was still lovely, mind you! But I could practically *hear* the roses sighing "Where's everyone else?" So, plan accordingly, my friend. Check the rose garden's website for up-to-date bloom reports. Don’t be like me, winging it… unless you like winging it. I do, most of the time. It just… doesn't always *work*.

How do I *get* there? Public transport? Rent a car? Tell me everything! (Practical Stuff!)

Okay, the logistics. This is where things get slightly...Japanese. Public transport is *doable.* Trains and buses are clean, reliable, and run like clockwork. But, be warned, the train journeys are scenic… and can take a while. I *think* I saw a monkey once (didn't have my phone ready, classic!). Renting a car gives you freedom, but driving can be tricky. Narrow roads, crazy parking… Honestly, I prefer the *charm* of public transport. You get to stare out the window, occasionally accidentally eavesdrop on some very interesting conversations in Japanese (or try to, anyway). Plus, navigating the bus system gave me a real sense of accomplishment. I felt like a seasoned explorer, finding the hidden rose oasis of Izu. (Okay, maybe not a seasoned explorer… more like… someone who *looked* like they knew where they were going.)

Is it just... roses? Or are there other things to see and do too?

Yes, it's primarily roses, but don't think it's JUST roses. (Though honestly, if it *was* ONLY roses, I wouldn't complain!) They have some other charming little things. There's a restaurant (which, by the way, made me a *dreamy* rose-flavored ice cream). Little shops with rose-themed everything. A few viewing platforms that give you a panoramic view of the entire place. I spent, like, a good hour just wandering around, taking photos, and, you know, breathing deeply. It's a very calming, romantic place. I felt like I should have been having a dramatic, sweeping love affair. (I was alone. The roses were my lovers.)

Food! Are there rose-flavored snacks? (Asking the important questions…)

Oh, YES. You absolutely MUST try the rose-flavored ice cream. Seriously. Do it. It was heavenly. It's light, fragrant, and tastes of pure floral joy. They also have rose-infused teas, rose-petal jelly, and even rose-flavored candies. Embrace the floral overload! Honestly, if I could have eaten everything rose-related, I would have. I might have even attempted to *become* a rose. I was in that kind of mood. (Okay, maybe not, but I *did* buy a rose-shaped soap. Don't judge.)

Accommodation near Roses?

Hotels, ryokans (traditional Japanese inns), and guesthouses, are all good options. If you're on a budget, consider staying in a nearby town. The area around the garden itself has some lovely places to stay, often with views of the mountains or the ocean. Research is key, and reading reviews, especially those that tell you how close they are to transportation, or what type of local food they serve. I, on the other hand... let's just say I ended up in a *very* interesting guesthouse. The owner was lovely, but the walls shared *everything*. Learn from my mistakes: *book in advance*, and *perhaps* read some reviews on the place.

What about the crowds? Are they overwhelming?

Okay, this is a big one. Depending on when you go, yes, the crowds can be... substantial. Especially during peak bloom. I went during a slightly quieter period (see my earlier answer about "winging it") and it was still pretty busy. I overheard a couple complaining about Instagrammers cluttering the photo spots, which is a valid concern. My strategy? Embrace the chaos. Find a quiet corner, wait for the perfect moment (or abandon the concept of perfection entirely), and just *enjoy* the experience. Early mornings, late afternoons, or during the week are generally less crowded. Honestly, sometimes the crowds just become part of the charm. You're all there, united by a shared love of roses. It's kind of beautiful, actually. (Or maybe that was the air freshener.)

Any tips for taking the PERFECT rose photos? (I'm a social media addict, I admit it…)

Alright, alright, I get it. Instagram is life. My advice? Go early. The light is better. Find interesting angles. Get low. Get high. Play with shadows. But most importantly, capture the *feeling*. The vibrant colours, the exquisite fragrance, the sheer overwhelming beauty of it all. And don’t be afraid to let a few imperfections sneak in. A wonky petal here, a blurry background there. It's *real life*, dammit! (And sometimes, even if you take a thousand photos, none of them will do the experience justice. That's okay too. Just remember the smell.)

Okay, but *honestly* was it worth it? The travel, the crowds, the potential for pollen-induced misery?

YES. Absolutely. Without a doubt. Even with the crowds, the potential for pollen-induced sneezing fits (thank goodness for antihistamines!), and the slightly-off-season weather, A Million Roses was *magical*. It was an experience. I walked amongst thousandsHotel Whisperer

A Million Roses Izu Japan

A Million Roses Izu Japan

A Million Roses Izu Japan

A Million Roses Izu Japan