Asteria Inn & Suites Stillwater: Your Dream Stillwater Getaway Awaits!
Asteria Inn & Suites Stillwater: My Stillwater Dream…Almost? (A Review with a Side of Reality)
Okay, let's ditch the polished brochure speak for a minute, shall we? I’ve just escaped (read: checked out) of the Asteria Inn & Suites in Stillwater, and before my memories fade into a blur of comfy beds and questionable coffee, I’m laying it all out. Warning: my brain's a messy place, and this review might follow suit. Buckle up.
First Impressions & the Accessibility Angle (because, important!)
Right, so, "Your Dream Stillwater Getaway Awaits!"… that's what they're selling. And honestly? The first glance hit the mark. Clean lines, modernish vibe, plenty of natural light. The Exterior Corridor thing? Meh, not my favorite, but hey, at least it felt…open?
Now, I really focused on the Accessibility aspect. My mum uses a wheelchair, and it's a deal-breaker if a place can't accommodate. The website says they have Facilities for disabled guests. GOOD. But this is where the "almost" crept in. While the entrance looked accessible, I didn't actually see a ramp in action. I wish I could share more concrete details about the rooms (are the bathrooms wide enough? are there grab bars?) But I didn't actually stay in an accessible room, so I'm relying on the website. Huge point here… they should be MORE explicit. This is a HUGE miss in their copy - this is where they NEED to over-detail, not under.
Inside the Fortress of Cleanliness (and those darned Cleaning Protocols)
Okay, let’s talk about the elephant in the room: COVID. Asteria Inn & Suites is trying to be responsible, and kudos for that. The Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Room sanitization between stays, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items… it feels like a lot of effort. They have Hand sanitizer stations everywhere. I saw the staff, all trained in safety protocol, diligently wiping down surfaces. It's the type of obsessive cleaning that's almost comforting in these times.
But, and this is a big but, I'm a bit of a skeptic. Did I see them using Professional-grade sanitizing services? Honestly, I couldn't say. Did I feel like everything was spotless? Maybe. But there's a nagging feeling of… well, you know. Hotels have always claimed to be spotless. Are these really new standards or just marketing fluff? I really cannot know, and it’s exhausting the amount of trust you're asked to give these days, a weird catch-22. It feels like the hotel is trying, at least. (Note: Didn't see any Doctor/nurse on call…which is good, I guess? I just don't know.)
My Room: A Love-Hate Relationship (and the Wi-Fi Saga)
My room? Ah, my room. Listed in the "Available in all rooms" section, let me paint a picture:
- Air Conditioning: Check. Needed it.
- Blackout curtains: Lifesaver! Slept like a log.
- Free Wi-Fi: (Cue dramatic sigh) This is where the “almost” returns. The Free Wi-Fi is there, and it mostly worked. But let me tell you, trying to video call my family felt like navigating a swamp. I think there was Internet access – wireless, too (and maybe LAN? I forgot to check), but it still felt…spotty. Look, in 2024, Wi-Fi is as essential as oxygen! They seriously need to upgrade their service.
- Comforts: So, the Bathrobes, Slippers and Complimentary Tea felt luxurious.
- Extra long bed: Yes! More room for tossing and turning.
- Mini bar: Good selection but didn't bother.
- Mirror: Check. Needed it.
- Sofa: Nice to have a place to collapse on after a long day!
- Wake-up service: Never used it. Alarm clock worked fine.
I did appreciate the Non-smoking policy (thank goodness!) and the Smoke detector was a reassuring presence. The Seating area was a welcome touch after a day walking around Stillwater.
The Sauna Sojourn: A Singular, Sauna-fied Experience
I’m going to double down on a single experience…the Sauna.
Now, the Spa/sauna, Sauna, Steamroom… yes, yes, and yes! I LOVE a good sweat sesh. The sauna was actually…surprisingly amazing. Maybe it was the quiet, maybe it was that I was the only one there (always a win). It was the kind of experience that makes you forget the world outside. I’d give it a good rating.
Food, Glorious Food (and the Occasional Hiccup)
Let’s talk about food. Okay, maybe let's not. The Restaurants? Yes, plural. But there seemed to be a limited menu offering with the A la carte in restaurant. I had that buffet. The Buffet in restaurant was… fine. I've had worse. The croissants were a little stale. The Breakfast [buffet] was okay, I guess. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was actually pretty decent.
But I'm going to be brutally honest. I’m definitely a bigger fan of finding a great bakery, and frankly, I was disappointed by the hotel offerings. I didn't try the Asian breakfast or the Asian cuisine in restaurant. (I'm not a huge soup person, so skip the Soup in restaurant) Was there a Snack bar? I think there was. I never found it open.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax (and Maybe Not Get Bored)
They clearly aimed to give you options: Fitness center (didn’t use it, but looked decent), Swimming pool [outdoor] (looked inviting, but weather wasn’t cooperating), Massage (didn't try it, but sounds lovely), Spa (didn't fit in my stay). I will say, Stillwater itself has plenty to do, which made up for the hotel’s limited entertainment.
Services and Conveniences: The Good, the Bad, and the Meh
Good:
- Concierge: Helpful.
- Daily housekeeping: Spotless.
- Car park [free of charge]: Always a bonus.
Meh:
- Food delivery: I saw the delivery people, but didn't use the service, so I can't comment.
- Laundry service: Didn't need it.
- Atmosphere: The Air conditioning in public area got it done, and I’m pretty sure they had Elevator, which is a help.
The "For the Kids" Zone:
I don’t have kids, so I can't speak to this. But the fact that they have Family/child friendly options is a plus. There was Babysitting service available, but I didn't ask for it.
The Nutshell Verdict?
Asteria Inn & Suites Stillwater is a solid option, especially if you are looking to relax and unwind. They get points for cleanliness and a solid effort at providing modern amenities,. But they are missing a few things. Some improvements and more specifics on the accessibility especially would earn them a higher star rating from me.
My Offer to You (because, why not?)
So, are you dreaming of a Stillwater getaway? Here’s my advice: If you’re looking for a comfortable, clean, and reasonably priced hotel with some decent perks, Asteria Inn & Suites could be your starting point. While it is not the perfect dream getaway, it has potential.
My Personal Recommendation: Before you book, call them and ask about specific accessible room details and Wi-Fi reliability. If those two are crucial for you, make sure they will work.
Discover Paradise: Capital O 3971 Griya Loka Syariah 1 Semarang!
Okay, buckle up buttercup, because we're about to dive headfirst into a trip to the Asteria Inn & Suites in Stillwater, Minnesota. And let me tell you, this ain't gonna be your perfectly curated Instagram-worthy itinerary. This is gonna be… well, real.
Asteria Inn & Suites Stillwater: A Messy, Human Journey
Day 1: Arrival and Deep Breaths (Emphasis on the Deep)
- 1:00 PM - Arrival in Stillwater and the Illusion of Calm: After surviving a five-hour drive that felt more like a marathon of snack wrappers and questionable radio music, we finally pull into the Asteria Inn & Suites. The exterior looks decent, a bit cookie-cutter hotel-y, but hey, it’s got a pool (which, let's be honest, is 80% of my decision-making process). I walk in, expecting the perfectly manicured lobby… but the air is thick with the lingering scent of chlorine and maybe a hint of stale coffee. Oh well, it's the vibe, man.
- 1:30 PM - Check-In and the Dreaded Room Choice: Fine, it's a hotel. Check-in is smooth-ish. "Do you have any requests?" the front desk guy asks with that practiced customer service smile. "Uh, a room away from the ice machine, please?" I plead. Because, you know, the ice machine is the devil. Cross fingers. The card reader seems to be working and I finally get to the room.
- 2:00 PM - Room Reconnaissance and the Quest for Caffeine: Ah, the room. It's… a room. Clean, I think! The bed looks comfy enough to get a good night's sleep, the TV still works, and the windows let in a decent amount of sunlight? This is pretty good overall. Wait, is that only a mini-fridge? And do I see a SINGLE-SERVE COFFEE MAKER?!?! OH DEAR LORD NO. This is a tragedy. This is a crime against humanity. I'm gonna fix this, come hell or high water. Time to find the nearest coffee shop.
- 2:30 PM - Coffee Rescue Mission and the Charm of Downtown: I make my way towards the historic downtown area, figuring coffee's probably easier to find than gold dust. Stillwater's cute! I get my caffeine fix…it was a struggle, I swear. And then, I decide to wander around. The river is calling, the buildings are cool, but the wind is BRUTAL. Like, bone-chilling brutal. Is it always this cold in Minnesota?
- 4:00 PM - Poolside Debacle and Existential Dread: The pool! Remember that? I envisioned myself lounging by the pool, soaking up the sun, reading a book. Reality? There are more screaming children than actual non-screaming people. Also, the water is colder than the Arctic Ocean. Nope. Back to the room to contemplate my life choices.
- 6:00 PM - Dinner: The Food is What it is. I didn't feel like walking for dinner, so I try the hotel restaurant. It's edible, which is a victory in my book, but definitely not a culinary masterpiece.
Day 2: Embrace the Mess
- 8:00 AM - Attempt to Reclaim the Morning: Despite the sub-par coffee situation (curse you, single-serve machines!), I drag myself out of bed. Gotta see the sunrise… and escape the room.
- 9:00 AM - The Lake State Trail: Alright, walking and biking the area sounds good. I get to the Trail, the air is crisp, sunlight streams through the trees and, in these moments, I realize why people like Stillwater.
- 12:00 PM - Lunch and a Quick Trip to the Shops: There are some cute shops in downtown Stillwater. I buy a mug to remind myself that I can indeed drink coffee when on vacation. I get some food at a restaurant, nothing amazing, but, hey, it's food.
- 2:00 PM - The Bridge: Stillwater's got a Lift Bridge, and it's fun to experience.
- 4:00 PM - Last Minute Swimming Attempt: I try my luck at the pool again. It's still cold and loud, but I manage to survive for 15 minutes.
- 6:00 PM - The Art of Just "Being" The day ends, and I finally get to enjoy the quiet of the room.
Day 3: Departure and Reflections (Mostly Bitter):
- 8:00 AM - Checkout and the Lingering Smell of Chlorine: Checkout is surprisingly painless this time. I find myself wondering if I can stay here for a day or two.
- 9:00 AM - The long drive home: I say my goodbyes.
- Overall Impressions: The Asteria Inn & Suites was…an experience. It wasn't perfect, far from it. It had its moments of glory (the Trail's beauty, the friendly people), and its moments of utter despair (the coffee, the pool). But hey, that's life, right? It's messy, imperfect, and sometimes leaves you craving a decent cup of coffee. Will I return? Maybe. But next time, I'm bringing my own coffee maker.
Asteria Inn & Suites Stillwater: Your Dream Stillwater Getaway Awaits! (Or Does It?) - A Frankly Honest FAQ
Okay, Seriously, Is Asteria Inn Actually *Nice*? I've Seen Some Weird Reviews Online...
Alright, let's be honest. "Nice" is a loaded word, right? Like, compared to a roach motel? Yeah, it's definitely nicer. Compared to the Ritz? Uh, no. My experience was... mixed. One time the Wi-Fi crapped out right when I was trying to order a pizza. Pure agony. But the next time, the lady at the front desk, Brenda (bless her heart), gave me a free upgrade because my room smelled vaguely of, well, *something*. She just winked and said, "Happens." So, it's a roll of the dice. You might get a sparkly clean room, or a slightly… *experienced* one. But generally? It's decent. Clean-ish. The beds weren't springs of torture, which, you know, counts for something.
Is the Location Convenient? Like, Within Walking Distance of the Good Stuff?
Convenient-ish. Depends on your definition of "good stuff." The riverfront? Technically walkable, but you're looking at a solid 20 minutes, maybe more if you're, ahem, *exploring* the local beverage options beforehand. There's a decent breakfast place a couple of blocks away (highly recommend the pancakes, seriously), and a few shops within a reasonable shuffle. The actual downtown, with all the cutesy antique stores and boat tours? Yeah, a car's your friend here. Remember that walk I mentioned? Well, doing that with an empty stomach when the river's calling? Not ideal.
The Breakfast...Tell Me About the Breakfast. Is it Actually Edible?
Ah, the breakfast. This is where things get...interesting. Let's put it this way: don't expect gourmet. Expect the usual suspects. Cereal, toast, maybe some sad-looking fruit. The coffee? Well, let's just say I've had better coffee in a gas station. But! (and it's a big but!) they do have a waffle maker. And if you're willing to fight the breakfast crowd (it can get *intense*), the waffles are…okay. Acceptable. They'll fill a hole. My advice? Hit up that pancake place I mentioned. Seriously. Skip the hotel breakfast and treat yourself. Unless you're a purist. Or REALLY like waffles.
Are the Pools Nice? I'm a Pool Person
Ok, pools are *critical* information here. And the Asteria pools (yes, plural) are… fine. One is indoors; one is outdoors. I think the outdoor one is seasonal? My memory is hazy. Honestly, I'm not the biggest pool person, so I didn't spend a ton of time there. They *looked* clean enough. I mean, no giant green blobs of questionable origin. But I did see a kid, who looked like he'd been in the pool for hours, with that glazed-over "I've achieved nirvana in chlorinated water" stare. So, take that for what it's worth. If a good pool is a *must*, maybe check the reviews for more detail, specifically about water temperature and what the chlorine levels are. I recommend avoiding the "super-smelly chlorine" type pool.
What About Parking? Is It a Nightmare?
Parking isn't usually a total disaster. There's a decent-sized lot. But I did have one harrowing experience where I got back late one night and there was *nothing*. I mean, zero spots. I ended up squeezing my car into a space that was technically wide enough, but I was fully expecting to wake up with a ticket. Thankfully, I didn't. But yeah, arrive early-ish, especially on weekends. Or be prepared for a little bit of parking Tetris. It's not the worst, but it's not ideal after a long day of... whatever you're doing in Stillwater (wine tasting? Boat tour? Shopping for overpriced candles? No judgment!).
Are There Any Hidden Fees? Should I Be Worried About That?
Hidden fees? That's the question that keeps us all up at night, doesn't it? I honestly can't remember if there were any *surprising* fees. They're pretty good about laying out the basic costs upfront. However, ALWAYS double-check your bill when you checkout. And always, *always*, keep your confirmation handy. You never know. Sometimes the minibar mysteriously charges for something you didn't touch, then you have to argue with them and suddenly you're not enjoying your pleasant stay anymore - which is the whole point, anyway!
Okay, Let's Cut to the Chase. Would You *Recommend* It?
Ugh, the million-dollar question. The answer? It depends. If you're looking for luxury? No. If you're looking for a budget-friendly base camp to explore Stillwater and you have relatively low expectations? Yeah, sure. It's perfectly *adequate*. It's not going to blow your mind. It might mildly annoy you at times. But it'll get the job done. It's a solid, mid-range option. Just pack some earplugs (you never know about noisy neighbors). And maybe bring your own coffee. And definitely hit up that pancake place. Just... go in with realistic expectations. Don't expect a miracle. It's Stillwater. It's lovely, but even the nicest B&B in town is a little... sleepy. Asteria? Manageable. And that, my friends, is the highest praise I can offer.
Okay, What About THAT One Time You Went? Something Happened. I'm Curious
Alright, fine. It was *one* time. I went with some friends. Like, a whole gaggle of us, celebrating a birthday. The room situation was a bit...complicated. We'd booked two rooms, right? But the front desk (different person this time, didn't get that upgrade) somehow lost one of the reservations. Chaos ensued. Like, full-blown, panicked-texting-and-frantically-calling-other-hotels chaos. Finally, after an hour of negotiations and what felt like a lifetime spent staring at the ceiling while Brenda's replacement looked at the computer, they found us a room. It wasn't what we'd booked. It was the "smelly room" in a different area of the building. And I swear, the smell was… reminiscent of old gym socks and sadness. We ended up cramming all eight of us into the remaining room. It was cozy, to say the least. We got some free drink coupons, which, to be honest, did help. Made it a little more bearable. So, the moral of the story? Double-check your reservation. Triple-check it. And maybe, just maybe, bring a hazmat suit. Or,Low Price Hotel Blog