
Escape to Paradise: Liuqiu Island's Hidden Gem, 南海雅築 B&B
Escape to Paradise: Liuqiu Island’s Hidden Gem – 南海雅築 B&B: A Messy, Honest Review (with a dash of SEO)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to dive headfirst (and hopefully gracefully) into a review of 南海雅築 B&B (Nan Hai Ya Zhu) on the gloriously secluded Liuqiu Island. This isn't your perfectly polished travel blog – this is the real deal, warts and all. My aim? To spill the beans, the sunshine, and maybe a little bit of sand, all while making sure Google's happy (SEO-ing, you know?).
So, let's start with the basics and then we'll get deliciously unbasic.
Accessibility (and a minor gripe):
Getting to Liuqiu Island is an adventure in itself! Ferry from Donggang Port. The B&B itself, 南海雅築, thankfully, is pretty accessible. While I didn't need a wheelchair, the main areas I visited seemed manageable - the lobby, the pool, the dining area. Important note: I didn't venture into every nook and cranny, so be sure to specifically double-check with the B&B about exact room accessibility if you need it. They do list facilities for disabled guests, which is promising.
On-site Accessible Restaurants/Lounges: (Checking on this!) I'll get back to you once I've really scrutinized every corner.
Wheelchair Accessible: See above. This requires a deeper dive and confirmation from the B&B directly.
Internet Access (A Love/Hate Affair):
Okay, internet. This is where things get REAL. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! YES! Fantastic. But… and this is a big but… the island life means island internet. Think… reliable-ish, but sometimes you're buffering a video so long you forget what you were even watching. 南海雅築 offers Internet [LAN] too, which I didn’t actually try, and Internet services are seemingly available. Wi-fi in public areas was pretty solid, though. So, pack your patience. And maybe a good book. Trust me.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax (Ah, Bliss!)
This is where 南海雅築 shines. Liuqiu is all about slowing down, and the B&B gets that. Let’s talk about getting that ZEN.
- Pool with view: The highlight! I'm a pool snob, and this one got my seal of approval. The view? Ocean, palm trees, the works. So relaxing. I spent a solid afternoon just floating and watching the world (and my worries) drift away. Swimming pool [outdoor] – check! And absolutely worth it.
- Okay, I'm a spa person. Seeing Spa, Spa/sauna, and Massage listed got me excited! But Sadly, the spa experience was… well, let's just say I was hoping for a little more. Maybe the body scrub or wrap are better. Next time! Still, a little in-room massage can be arranged.
- Fitness center & Gym/fitness: I'm not a morning person (or an afternoon person… or an evening person…), so I didn't actually use it. My idea of fitness on Liuqiu involved more ice cream consumption than sit-ups. HOWEVER, it is there, for the go-getters among us.
- Foot bath: Not quite to that point, but something to look into.
- Sauna, Steamroom: Noted!
Cleanliness and Safety (Important Stuff):
This is where 南海雅築 really nailed it. In these crazy times, seeing all these boxes checked is a HUGE relief.
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Good.
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Excellent.
- Doctor/nurse on call: Peachy.
- First aid kit: Smart.
- Hand sanitizer: Everywhere.
- Hot water linen and laundry washing: Good.
- Hygiene certification: Checked!
- Individually-wrapped food options: Appreciated.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: Observed.
- Professional-grade sanitizing services: Reassuring.
- Room sanitization opt-out available: Nice.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Crucial.
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Essential.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Vital.
- Sterilizing equipment: Good.
I felt genuinely safe and cared for. They're taking this seriously, which is a BIG plus.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (Fueling the Fun!)
Brace yourselves, foodies!
- Breakfast [buffet]: The breakfast buffet wasn't the most extravagant thing I've ever seen, but it was plentiful, and there were a few tasty local options to try.
- Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant: Yes! You're in Taiwan, after all!
- Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant: Yup, if you're craving pancakes.
- Restaurants: There are restaurants!
- Coffee/tea in restaurant: A must!
- Poolside bar: They have a pool, right?
- Room service [24-hour]: Yassssss.
- A la carte in restaurant, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant: Check, Check, Check.
- Snack bar, Bottle of water
Oh, and the fact that they offer Alternative meal arrangement is a thoughtful touch. Happy hour? I'm there! Sadly, I didn't get to try everything. Next time, I'm working my way around the menu.
Services and Conveniences (Little Things That Matter):
This place understands hospitality.
- Air conditioning in public area: Relief from the humidity!
- Audio-visual equipment for special events, Indoor venue for special events, Outdoor venue for special events: Nice if you're planning something special.
- Business facilities: Yes, if you must work.
- Cash withdrawal: Convenient!
- Concierge: Helpful.
- Contactless check-in/out: Smooth!
- Convenience store: For snacks, of course.
- Currency exchange: (Handy)
- Daily housekeeping: Fresh towels are the best.
- Doorman: Welcomes you warmly.
- Dry cleaning, Ironing service, Laundry service: Crucial for a longer trip.
- Elevator: Makes life easier.
- Facilities for disabled guests: A welcome addition!
- Food delivery: Options are nice.
- Gift/souvenir shop: Grab a little something to remember it by.
- Invoice provided: Always useful.
- Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Projector/LED display, Seminars: Good if you need them.
- Safety deposit boxes: Always smart.
- Shrine, Terrace, Smoking area: For those that need it.
They even have Wi-Fi for special events and a business center!
For the Kids
- Babysitting service: A great add for families.
- Family/child friendly: 👍
- Kids facilities, Kids meal: Awesome
Access (Getting In and Out)
- CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private]
- Exterior corridor- Makes for easier access
- Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Pets allowed unavailable, Proposal spot
Available in All Rooms
- Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
- Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms: Important!
Getting Around
- Airport transfer: This doesn't apply on Liuqiu Island, but they do offer the basics:
- **Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into my (hopefully not disastrous) Liuqiu adventure, all centered around the promise of bliss at the South Sea B&B (南海雅築). This itinerary isn't exactly chiseled in stone, more… scribbled on a napkin with a leaky pen, but hey, that's life, right?
Day 1: Arrival, Mild Panic, and the Promise of Pizza
- Morning (7:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Wake up, try to pack. Fail. My suitcase looks like a bomb went off in a discount sporting goods store. I'm pretty sure I packed four identical pairs of black shorts and zero… you know… actual clothing. Sigh. The Ferry to Liuqiu.
- Commute (9:00 AM - 12:00 AM): From Kaohsiung, the ferry departs. The ferry ride is short. I am not a good sailor. So, I can't help it but to vomit.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM - 2:00 PM): Arrive at Liuqiu! The vibrant colors hit you like a shot of espresso. I stumble off the ferry, already coated in a fine layer of salty sweat. The promised scooter rental awaits. Pray for my coordination skills. Finding NanHaiYaZhu. A good rest.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Check-in at South Sea B&B. I hope the room looks as dreamy in reality as it did in the (highly curated) photos. My first impression of the B&B is… breath-taking. It's even better than the pictures (which rarely happens!). The staff is incredibly welcoming (and seem unfazed by my disheveled state).
- Afternoon (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Exploring. I have to find food immediately. It's a basic human need, right? I saw a pizza place on Google Maps. I'm going to track it down.
- Evening (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM): Pizza! I order a ridiculously large pizza. Halfway through I regret my choice. The local beer to wash it down.
- Evening (8:00 PM onwards): Stargazing. The night sky. The B&B has a rooftop viewing area. I find it just magnificent.
Day 2: Underwater Wonderland (and My Flailing Attempts at Grace)
- Morning (7:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Wake up feeling miraculously not hungover. Breakfast at the B&B. The local breakfast is delicious.
- Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 AM): Snorkeling! We're going to the secret snorkeling spot. The guide is a mix of cheerful and, honestly, slightly terrifying given the open water. Okay, deep breaths. Put on the provided snorkeling stuff.
- Morning (12:00 AM - 1:00 PM): After the snorkeling. I manage to not drown and see turtles! Definitely worth the panic.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 3:00 PM): Lunch. The restaurant is one of the best in the island.
- Afternoon (3:00 PM - 5:00 PM): Taking a long nap.
- Evening (5:00 PM - 7:00 PM): Sunset viewing. Find a viewpoint that promises a good view. We watch the sunset. The sky is magnificent.
- Evening (7:00 PM onwards): Dinner. Eat at a seafood restaurant.
Day 3: Caves, Coastal Walks, and the Harsh Reality of Packing
- Morning (7:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Wake up. Try to pack. Fail.
- Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 AM): Exploration.
- Afternoon (12:00 AM - 1:00 PM): Lunch.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 3:00 PM): Last stroll.
- Afternoon (3:00 PM - 5:00 PM): Souvenir hunting.
- Evening (5:00 PM - 7:00 PM): Dinner.
- Evening (7:00 PM onwards): Pack. Prepare.
- Farewell: I leave the next day.
Key Concerns/Random Thoughts:
- Scooter Skills: Pray for me. Actually, pray to the scooter gods. I'm aiming for "not crashing."
- Sunburn: A constant battle. Must reapply sunscreen like it's a religious ritual.
- Food Coma: Highly likely. I'm on vacation; all bets are off.
- Emotional Overload: I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed (in a good way), anticipating the beauty.
- The Reality of Packing: The aforementioned tragic suitcase situation.
- The Perfect Bathroom: Will the B&B bathroom meet my exacting standards for cleanliness and water pressure? This is crucial.
This, my friends, is the raw, unedited heart of my Liuqiu adventure. It’s a work in progress, a messy tapestry of hopes, fears, and a deep, burning desire for really, really good pizza. Wish me luck! And I'll check back in.
Escape to Paradise: Comfort Suites Near Eglin AFB!
So, Liuqiu Island? Seriously? And the Nanhai Yazu B&B? Tell me it's not just another brochure lie.
Okay, deep breath. Liuqiu Island *is* real. And it's not just some Instagram fantasy. But listen, the brochure lies are definitely a thing! The pictures make everything look PERFECT. Nanhai Yazu? Well, that's the real deal, but with caveats. Think…a slightly wonky, but utterly charming, version of paradise. You're not getting a sterile hotel. You're getting, well, someone's actual home, with all the love (and possibly slight chaos) that comes with it.
We went there, remember? Me and Sarah? The "romantic getaway" that mostly involved me forgetting sunscreen and Sarah's epic meltdown about the lack of proper coffee first thing in the morning? Yeah, that trip.
What's the big deal about Liuqiu anyway? Everyone's been there.
Alright, alright, Mr. "been there, done that". Fine. Liuqiu is… different. It's tiny. You can bike the whole darn thing. The water? Crystal clear. You've got these insane coral formations you can snorkel around. Plus, you can see the green sea turtles! (Assuming you don't scare them off. I may have, accidentally, bellowed "OH MY GOD, A TURTLE!" on our first snorkel trip. Oops.)
But the *real* appeal? It's the vibe. It’s slow. It's quiet. It's got this feeling of… well, escaping. Like, actually escaping the relentless grind of reality. Okay, except for the ferry ride, which is a total cattle car. They need to work on that.
The Nanhai Yazu B&B. Sounds fancy. What do you *really* think?
Okay, fancy isn't the word. 'Quirky charm' is probably more accurate. Think cozy, not five-star luxury. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and the beds… oh, the beds! Honestly, I slept like a log. The owner, Mr. Chen? He’s a character. He speaks enough English to get by, and his wife, bless her heart, is this tiny, smiling force of nature. She makes the breakfast… which can range from amazing to slightly… adventurous. (Let’s just say my first encounter with the local "sticky rice thing" was a learning experience.)
And the location? Perfect. Right near a beach. You can practically roll out of bed and into the waves.
What was the best thing about your stay at Nanhai Yazu? The absolute BEST.
Right, here it comes. The single, defining moment? The turtles. Snorkelling with the turtles. It was like… it was like being in a nature documentary. We saw so many! They were just *there*, gracefully gliding through the water. We were surrounded by the underwater world, and it was utterly, unforgetably humbling. It wasn't just a photo op. It was the feeling of being there with them. The green sea turtles... magical. Sarah almost cried. I think I did too, but I'd blame the water getting in my mask. (I didn't, but you get the idea.)
Okay, the morning was the best, the sunset right when we were done and swimming for our lives back to the coast because the waves were starting to get choppy was not the best, though. After that the best part of the day, was the turtles.
And speaking of my mask... I would recommend you bring your own! They provide them, but... just trust me on this one!
Any downsides? Be honest.
Okay, full disclosure. The hot water in the shower. Sometimes, it's… hesitant. Like, it takes a while to warm up. And the air conditioning, bless its cotton socks, can be a little noisy. Not a deal-breaker, but something to be aware of. Also, the lack of decent coffee was a *major* problem for Sarah.
But honestly? Those are just tiny quibbles. The slightly rough edges are part of the charm. It's not meant to be a polished, perfect vacation. It's about experiencing something real. And after a few days of island life, even Sarah forgot about the need for gourmet lattes.
What about food? Don’t leave me hanging!
The food is… varied. You have the local night market, which is a MUST. Get the fried squid. So. Good. The seafood restaurants are decent, but don't expect Michelin-star quality. Think fresh-caught, simple preparations. And the B&B breakfast? As I said, the "sticky rice thing"…well, embrace the adventure! You'll also find some fantastic fruit. Pineapple, mango…all incredibly fresh. You'll probably have the best fruit you've ever eaten in your life.
There are also a few little convenience stores where you can buy snacks. It's a good idea to grab water and some small treats for the beach. I was constantly raiding the local market because I was hungry. (And forget to remember my sunscreen. Ugh.)
Ok, I'm considering it. What should I pack?
Sunscreen. Lots of it. Seriously. Bug spray. A hat. A good book. Your own snorkel gear (seriously). Swimsuits. Comfortable shoes for walking and biking. And a sense of adventure! Most importantly. Seriously. Leave the heels at home. You won't need them. And bring cash. Not everywhere takes cards.
And don't forget a waterproof bag for your phone! Trust me on that. I almost drowned mine taking a picture of a turtle.
Is it kid-friendly?
Yep, definitely kid-friendly! There are tons of beaches to run around on, and the snorkeling is incredible for kids. Just make sure you have a good life jacket for the littles. And Mr. Chen often has little treats available, so kids tend to be pretty happy in the B&B.
Anything else I should know?
Book your ferry tickets *in advance*. Seriously. It can get crowded, especially on weekends. And be prepared to disconnect. Wi-fi is available, but it's not the fastest. Embrace it. The whole point is to get away from it all. And learn a few basic Mandarin phrases. The locals will appreciate it. Even if you pronounce them horribly, they always work to help you.
And one last thing: Don't go expecting perfection. Go expecting an adventure. Go expecting to be surprised. GoInstant Hotel Search

